FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE AT LEGACY FOUNDATION CHRISTINE STAMPER CENTER FOR HELP & HOPE
BULLHEAD CITY, Ariz. (Feb. 21, 2020): In preparation for the opening of the Legacy Foundation Christine Stamper Center for Help & Hope, a first-of-its-kind, day drop-in center and overnight shelter, Catholic Charities Community Services is looking for volunteers and community partners to fill a number of critical needs and opportunities.
The center will provide safe shelter for up to 200 unduplicated individuals and families experiencing homelessness annually. It will also provide resources, referrals and supportive services to 1,400 members of the community each year and will open this spring.
The shelter will offer overnight rest, relief, the basic necessities, case management and health services for individuals and families experiencing homelessness in the tri-state area. Sheltering up to 57 individuals each night, private rooms will be available for families and veterans. Catholic Charities has been operating in Bullhead City in many capacities since 2015.
Volunteer opportunities include:
• Hospitality Specialists to assist visitors and guests with resources such as welcome and intake interviews, access to showers and laundry facilities, housing and job searches, computer and phone use, clothing, kitchen and meal services.
• Dinner Coordinator(s) to help plan and arrange meals for individuals and families at the Center. This is a key area of need for the shelter
• Hungry No More Volunteers of all faiths, as well as civic groups and caring individuals to prepare and serve evening meals.
• Hope Wellness Clinic Volunteers to work alongside North Country Health Care and other partners to provide on-site wellness clinic services. Tasks may include bilingual scribes, appointment coordination and welcome, and data entry.
• Front Desk Office Support for administrative and logistical support.
• Philanthropy Volunteers to serve and reach donors in meaningful ways. Duties and shifts vary may depend on upcoming events and campaigns. Some tasks can be
completed from home and may include, but not limited to, phone calls, addressing envelopes, personalized cards and data entry.
• Donation Specialists to help sort the many daily donations that need to be organized and stored.
• Youth Champions who are servant leaders strengthening the entire community through teaching and demonstrating the value of service and philanthropy. Tasks may include organizing food or water donation drives, organizing basic-need drives for hygiene products, sunscreen, dental items, etc., assisting in preparing or serving dinner.
• Action Plan Advisor to assist visitors and guests with creating personalized plans, securing knowledge, skills and resources most needed, often housing and job searches, applications and follow-ups, as well as other identified social services.
• Environment Specialists to help improve positive health outcomes through a clean living environment. Tasks may include sweeping and mopping floors, trash pick up, weed spraying and kitchen cleaning.
Long-term goals of the new shelter are to assist individuals and families in securing safe, affordable housing and a solid set of skills, as well as resources to ensure housing stability so that 75% of those sheltered will exit to permanent housing; 50% of those served will gain or increase income; and 75% will be referred to and enrolled in additional supportive services (i.e.: mental health treatment, substance abuse treatment, employment services).
About Catholic Charities
Founded in 1933, Catholic Charities provides care for the vulnerable of all faiths in central and northern Arizona through programs in foster care, early education, veteran services, refugee resettlement, and homeless outreach. Housing for Hope, a separate 501c3, is an affiliate of Catholic Charities and provides affordable housing. Learn more by visiting www.catholiccharitiesaz.org or www.housingforhopeAZ.org. Social connections include www.facebook.com/CatholicCharitiesAZ and twitter.com/CCArizona.
Catholic Charities Community Services