If you know someone who is being abused, you can help her by showing you care. Let her speak confidentially about her situation and without judgment. You may be the only person with whom she feels comfortable.
Show her you care by:
- Listening to and believing her
- Assuring her that her situation concerns you and the abuse is not her fault
- Telling her that she deserves to be safe: abuse is NEVER acceptable and NO ONE deserves to be beaten
- Helping her learn not to deny or minimize her abuse. If she says, “It’s really not that bad,” tell her it is very serious
- Letting her keep important papers and extra clothes at your house
- Giving her our Help Hotline numbers
- Do not blame, judge or minimize her
If you think your abuser may be monitoring your computer activities, be aware that a computer trail can be traced. Please exit this website and use a safer computer such as at a public library or community center. To quickly exit to a safe web site, click here.